Monday, October 4, 2010

The Tern


Something not many people know about me is that besides being a surfer and surfboard shaper, I'm also an avid birder. This interest began in my college days as a biology major. Since the name of my label is 'Migration Surfboards', it's only fitting that I'll be naming all my models after different migratory birds.

So in that light, I'd like to introduce you to the Tern. The Tern is a winged swallowtail fish/shortboard hybrid. This board features a low entry rocker and a subtle single to double concave. Although designed to be ridden as a twin fin w/a baby trailer fin, it performs equally well as a thruster, or even a quad if you desire. The wide point is slightly forward of center for easier paddling. Designed more for smaller surf, this board is at home in waves up to about 7 ft.

Roughly the size of a Gull, Terns are graceful water birds with pointed wings and forked tails. They are remarkable to watch while fishing when they make sharp swooping dives upon spotting a fish. The Arctic Tern is the world champion migrator in the animal kingdom, migrating from the Artic Circle, all the way to southern South America and Antarctica. They are also very long lived, sometimes reaching 30+ years!

No comments:

Post a Comment